Thursday 28 June 2012

Cats- A Dollar Academy Production


Dollar Academy took on one of my favourite shows and I will admit, I was worried! I knew that the school had some fantastic vocalists but, as a dance show, I had the suspicion that Cats would be too big a challenge.

I was pleasantly surprised. Not only did those amazing vocals find their way perfectly though Lloyd Webber's score, there was some beautiful pieces of movement too.

On the whole I felt that it needed more dance as there was too many moments of stillness on stage during the big songs, but there were a few girls in particular who absolutely nailed it. They moved like felines, whether waiting at the side of the stage, sitting posed, walking or dancing, every muscle movement was thought out. It was a pleasure to watch these few girls who had clearly looked for inspiration from their nearest pussy cat.

I had hoped to see more choreography from Cats, which is so famous as a dance show. The school has the talent, it just needs to be nurtured, polished up and choreographed.....if these things had been done this show could have been outstanding.

I can't believe some of the kids were only in 4th year....what a magical show. This school delivers once again with stunning scenery and costumes.... I went to the dress rehearsal so that really says something! The sound was spot on and the band sounded great....all done by school pupils. I heard the rest of the show week was a great success- congratulations!


No comments:

Post a Comment